Saturday 24 October 2009

Lord Noel With A Job To Do

Whatto! Workmen.....


When I went for a stroll in the afternoon sunshine yesterday.......
I happened across two chaps......
....working in a nearby field.
There's really nothing I enjoy more.....
....than watching people.....
....as they work.
I could see that they were from the Council......
....they had Council jackets on .......
.....and a nearby van with Council logos along it's sides.
One of the chaps was digging holes............
I watched interestedly as he dug, dug, dug.

The other chap came along behind him........
....and he had a spade too.........
....and I watched as he filled up the hole.........
....fill, fill, fill. 
 

I saw that Doug & Phil worked continuously; one digging a hole, the other filling it up again.

I observed in admiration in the warm sunshine........
....unable to believe how hard they were working.........
....but the longer I looked.........
....the more I couldn't understand what they were doing. 

Finally I had to ask them.

I said to the hole digger, "I appreciate how hard you're working here......
....but what exactly are you doing?"
"Oh Hello Lord Noel" said Doug as he leant on his spade for a moment to talk to me.....
"I'm digging holes...."
"Oh yes?" I replied - continuing with my line of questioning.......
"I saw you dig a hole and then your partner comes behind you........
......and fills it up again!"

The hole digger replied, "Oh yeah, it must look funny alright............ 
....but the bloke who plants the trees.....
....is sick today." 

Tallyho!

What pointless task have you been involved in recently?

Best Wishes - Lord Noel & Lady Jacqueline

No comments: