Monday 3 November 2008

Working the Fields


Whatto! Workaholics........

I went for a bit of a stroll the other day and came across this old chap working in a field........

I thought I'd enter into a conversation with him as he looked like an interesting individual.......
It turns out that his name is Bert and I ask him "Have you been working 'on the land' all your life?"..............

"Not yet" he replied stoically..............

He then told me "I loike to ave a few sherrbits on the weekend ...... an the uther week my woife said t'me 'Wass the idea? - cumin home reely late an half drunk?' ......... an I jus say t'her 'Thas cuz I ran outta money!'...............

Later............ towards the end of the conversation with him I asked "What time do you knock off Bert?"

............"About 5" says Bert

I was a little curious and asked him...."Have you got a watch?"

"No" says Bert

"Well how do you know what time to leave then?" I ask..............

"Well d'you see that railway line over thare?" he points to a nearby track that disappers behind the edge of the field............

"Yes!" I reply..........

"Well..." says Bert "a train goes past at half past foive!.......

................."so I just pack up half an hour afore it gets here!"

"Aha!" I reply...............

Tallyho!

Best wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: