Friday 7 November 2008

Hoya


Whatto! New Presidents.....................

All the excitement surrounding Obama's Presidential campaign reminded me of my time spent in the Diplomatic Corp when it was often my duty and pleasure to accompany foreign dignatories in far away lands whilst interim Governments were put in place..............

Usually after a period of civil war or other hostilities.....................

I remember one particular occassion in Java when it was election time and I was asked to accompany a politician who decided to go out to try to get the local populace to vote.

Everyone assembled in the Council Hall to hear his speech. The politician had worked up to his finale, and the crowd was getting more and more excited. "I promise better education opportunities for everyone!"

The crowd went wild, shouting "Hoya! Hoya!"

The politician was a bit puzzled by the native word, but was encouraged by their enthusiasm. "I promise gambling and alcohol reforms so that the local people can truly benefit!"

"Hoya! Hoya!" cried the crowd, stomping their feet.

"I promise more social reforms and job opportunities for local people!"

The crowd reached a frenzied pitch shouting "Hoya! Hoya! Hoya!"

After the speech, the Politician was touring the area and saw a tremendous herd of cattle. Since he was raised on a farm in England, and knew a bit about cattle, he asked the local Chief if he could get closer to take a look at the cattle........

"Of course!" said the Chief smiling, "but be careful not to step in the hoya."

Tallyho!

Best wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: