Thursday 13 November 2008

Lord Noel on Cars

Whatto! Fellow Vehicle owners................


I must admit to being a trifle naive when it comes to anything mechanical...............


That's why I normally leave all such things to our chauffeur...........


But it was his day orf yesterday and the old Roller was spluttering a tad so I telephoned the nearest dealership and they sent around a mechanic chappie called Neville............


Whilst I was talking to Neville, I remembered that I'd lost one of those seven-hundred and ten things whilst taking a brief look at the engine myself yesterday.........


Neville looked at me a little confused and asked, "What is a seven-hundred and ten?"


I was quite surprised by his lack of knowledge in this respect and replied, "You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine. I lost it and need a new one. As far as I am aware it has always been there."


Neville seemed genuinely stumped by my simple request.............


I was absolutely amazed!...............


A Mechanic who didn't know what a 710 was?!.........


As you can imagine - I began to seriously doubt young Neville's abilities!.....


In the end Neville gave me a piece of paper and a pen and asked me to draw what the piece looked like...........


I took the paper and pen and drew a corrugated circle and in the middle of it wrote 710.......


But Neville seemed no further forward!.........


Then he had an idea!............


He took me over to his car, popped open the bonnet and asked, "Is there a 710 on this car ?"


I looked and immediately saw one...........


So I pointed and said, "Of course, its right there!"


It was only then that the penny seemed to drop for poor old Neville!


Tallyho!


Best wishes - Lord Noel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)) l was thinking that you meant the thing that is always missing or left over when something is rebuilt.
I know you said you did not have anything to do with car engines but that does not normally stop people having a go.

Lord Noel & Lady Jacqueline said...

Yes! I know exactly what you mean - 'The Ikea Coonundrum' but with mechanicals whenever I 'have a go' it usually ends up with the car 'Having to go!'