Saturday 1 August 2009

Lord Noel Asks "What Did He Say?"

Whatto! philosophers........
Many an interesting phrase has been quoted from time to time.........
.......to get us through lifes pickles......
Why, only the other day our Village Sage was standing next to me......
....when he uttered those immortal words.......
....that I shall NEVER forget!
He said to me.......
"Get OFF my ruddy foot!"
Of course....on that occasion I knew the exact source of this great wisdom....
.....but how many people know who said what?
Here's a short quiz........
See how many you can identify......
Answers at the end....
Isn't this FUN!??


1. He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

2. I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.

3. I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

4. All things are difficult before they are easy

5. Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous mind

6. I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.

7. I am still learning.

8. Believe one who has proved it. Believe an expert.

9. All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

10. Yes Madam I am drunk.....and YOU are ugly! But in the morning I shall be sober!

11. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm

12. Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been erected to a critic

13. Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.

14. Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

15. Education is the best provision for old age

16. Do you want fries with that?

17. A woman is always buying something

18. There must be a hundred reasons why I don't blow you away......right now I can't think of one

19. I remember the first time I had sex....I kept the receipt






Answers:
1. Confucius
2. Socrates (470-399 BC)
3. Confucius
4. Thomas Fuller
5. Samuel Johnson
6. Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
7. Michelangelo
8. Virgil (not the one from Thunderbirds) Aeneid
9. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
10. Winston Churchill
11. Ralph Waldo Emerson
12. Jean Sibelius
13. Rene Descartes
14. Will Durant
15. Aristotle
16. Tony Wittingsnake from the fast food shop in the High Street
17. Ovid (43 BC)
18 Clint Eastwood
19. Woody Allen




Tallyho!
Best Wishes - Lord Noel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you know Michelangelo
said "I am still learning"; where is the reference?

Lord Noel & Lady Jacqueline said...

Whatto! Anony Mouse.....I was lucky enough to purchase a small fragment of original parchment at an auction at Sothebys five years ago which had the words "I am still learning" scribbled onto it in faded ink. After months of research by top experts it has finally been attributed to the man himself....Michelangelo no less. So I like to use this fact from time to time in spurious quizzes that I create to relieve the tedium of life for web surfers. Don't be too dispondent in not getting full marks in the quizz! Tallyho!