Wednesday 15 October 2008

The Secret of Life?

Whatto! everyone...........
I went out for a walk through our village the other day...............
to take in the sights and sounds of nature in the warm afternoon air...........
and as I passed by one particularly quaint old bungalow.......... I noticed this little old man rocking in a chair on his front porch............
I usually recognise all of the locals through bumping into them during my regular walks but this chap was someone I'd never met before so I thought I'd make his aquaintance.............
I had all the time in the World to spare so I approached him........... for a chat........
I started the conversation off casually enough with "I can't help noticing how happy you look sitting there this afternoon!".............. I smiled at him and reassuringly, he smiled back..........
So I continued..... "What is your secret for a long happy life?"
The Gentleman paused for a few moments and looked upwards as if he was intently searching through his memory banks for me........
"Well!".........he said finally "I smoke three packs of cigarettes a day!"
"Really?" I answered in surprise............ and he continued "And I also drink a case of whiskey every week!"................
I was amazed! ......and now somewhat intrigued............. so I questioned him further "What about your diet?........Anything special there?".......... I was convinced that this chap was holding back on some 'secret elixir of life'!
He gave a broad smile and proudly added "I eat lots of fatty foods........ and I never ever exercise!"
"My Word! That's absolutely remarkable!" I responded................. Hardly able to believe what I was hearing!.................
"And exactly how old are you?" I asked..........
"I'm twenty-six," he replied.
Tallyho!
Best wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: