Saturday 8 December 2012

Lord Noel Takes A Hike

What ho! Pepys...


Yesterday I took a walk. The air was cold but perfect for keeping cool as I strolled tentatively along the pathways strewn with leaves of gold. 



Brambles trying to hastily hide their worn out shriveled fruit behind ageing yellow leaves scruffily hunch over and surround trembling green nettles with their brutal thorns bared.
The shadows of birds dash from bushes to trees and out of my reach. Rabbits scan me from afar before galloping away flopping into the undergrowth.
The shadows of birds dash from bushes to trees and out of my reach. Rabbits scan me from afar before galloping away flopping into the undergrowth.




A Munkjack deer stops to watch me momentarily before wandering off casually between the twigs and ditches that disguise its territory from me. Pheasants rattle their wings and squawk excitedly as they too make haste. 




A robin flits onto a nearby twig. With tiny head tilting, he eyes me silently then flits away.
The trees hold their skeletal arms skyward. Adoringly craving the weakening rays of the autumn sun whose watery disc struggles barely above the horizon. As it drops still further the light changes and takes on a warming glow. The remaining leaves become clouds of yellow butterflies huddling together in the bony branches for the last rays of light. 




The path of fallen oak leaves crumples beneath my boots - an impossible jigsaw puzzle whose pieces are even now slowly decomposing.
Slowly the sound of a bypass breaks my silence. Lorries trundle by, thankfully oblivious to my golden Kingdom as they busy themselves with self-important commercial tasks. The pounding shotguns boom out in the distance reminding me of mans ingenuity in killing. I wake from my blissful trance as the light fades further and the golden path becomes a tobacco stained track that leads me away from natures beauty for another day.




Tallyho!

Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: