Tuesday 21 January 2014

Lord Noel's Health Kick

Whattho! Pepys...


For Xmas this year my wife purchased a week of private sessions


at the local health club for me. Though still in great shape from when I

was on the under 14 chess team in Grammar school, I decided it was a good

idea to go ahead and try it. I called and made reservations with someone

named Tanya, who said she was a '26-year-old aerobics instructor and

athletic clothing model' - a likely story!



My wife seemed very pleased with how suddenly enthusiastic I was to get started.

They suggested I keep an "exercise diary" to chart my progress - so here goes:



Day 1.

Started the morning at 6:00 AM. Tough to get up, but soooo worth it when I

arrived at the health club and Tanya was waiting for me. She's something

of a goddess, with blonde hair and a dazzling white smile. She showed me all of

the machines and took my pulse after five minutes on the treadmill. She

seemed a little alarmed that it was so high, but I think it was just

standing next to her, in THAT outfit of hers, that added about ten points.

Enjoyed watching the aerobics class - great spectator sport. Tanya was very encouraging as I did

my sit-ups, though my gut was already aching a

little from holding it in the whole time I was talking to her. This is

going to be really GREAT.



Day 2.

Took a whole pot of coffee to get me out the door today, but I made it. Tanya

had me lie on my back and push this heavy iron bar up into the air. Then

she put weights on it! For heaven's sake woman! Har! Legs were a little wobbly on

the treadmill, but I made it the full mile. Her smile made it all worth

while. Muscles ALL feel really GREAT.



Day 3.

Today I found out that the only way I can brush my teeth is by laying the toothbrush on the

counter and moving my mouth back and forth over it. I am certain that I

have developed a hernia in both of my pectorals. Driving was OK as long as I

didn't try to steer. I parked in the Gym carpark - on top of a Volkswagen. Tanya was a little

impatient with me and told me my screaming was bothering the other club

members! The treadmill hurt my chest, so I did the stair monster. Why

would anyone invent a machine to simulate an activity rendered obsolete

by the invention of elevators? Tanya told me regular exercise would make

me live longer. Right now I can't imagine anything worse.



Day 4.

Tanya was waiting for me with her shiny vampire teeth in a full snarl. I

can't help it if I was half an hour late, it took me that long just to

tie my shoelaces. She wanted me to lift dumbbells. Not a chance, Tanya. The

word "dumb" is in there for a reason. I hid in the men's room until

she sent Lars looking for me. As punishment she made me try the rowing

machine. I SANK!



Day 5.

I hate Tanya more than any human being has ever hated any other human

being in the history of the world. If there was any part of my body not

in extreme pain I would certainly use it to hit her. She thought it would be a good

idea to work on my triceps. Well I have news for you Tanya - I don't

have triceps! And if you don't want any more dents in your precious floors don't hand me

those stupid barbells. I refuse to accept responsibility for the damage, YOU went

to sadist school, YOU are to blame. The treadmill flung me back into a

science teacher, which hurt like crazy. Why couldn't it have been

someone softer, like a music, art, or social studies teacher? Bitches!



Day 6.

Got Tanya's message on my answering machine, wondering where I am. I

lacked the strength to use the TV remote so I watched eleven straight

hours of the Food channel. Felt full up afterwards.



Day 7.

Well, that's the week. Thank goodness that's over. Maybe next time my

wife will give me something a little more fun, like a gift certificate

for a root canal.



Tallyho!   Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: