Sunday 7 October 2012

Lord Noel Shops Locally

What ho! Pepys...


I was in town recently visiting our locally run 'not for profit' food store and I decided to buy some interestingly pitted cooking apples that I had never seen before.
Mick, who works behind the small counter as a volunteer, said "What a good choice you've made!" as the apples were grown by HIM. He told me about his orchard with 30 different trees each of which provided some of his favourite different fruits that he had accumulated over the years. The only 'down side' being that he only has one tree of each variety so when the fruit's gone - that's it until next year.
"If you have all those fruit trees than you must have bees too?" (to pollinate them all) I ventured and he told me
"I don't, but a man named Jeff owns some hives and put some in the orchard for me - he does this all over the area in any suitable spaces he can find".
"Does he also supply honey?" I asked
"Yes" Mick replied "Jeff's quite a character. He used to live on a longboat and now he lives in a caravan by the beach and sells honey and brews beer."
He pointed out Jeff's honey and beer on a nearby shelf and I bought some - purely because I liked the sound of this chap already.
"Apparently he's started advertising 'Tours of the brewery' recently" Mick added "Even though it's literally just a tiny brick building beside his caravan!"
This is exactly the sort of interesting local conversation I could NEVER have had in a faceless 'Super' market.
See what you're missing?

Tallyho!

Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: