Saturday 10 May 2014

Lord Noel On Europop

Whatto! Pepys...



For some time now, my interest in the Eurovision Song Contest has been sadly lacking.
I have been away in the far east since January and have been enjoying the music there instead.
Now I have returned and am searching for some good quality European music to emerse myself into.
The Eurovision song contest is not somewhere I expect to find any inspiration.... even though, on the face of it - it appears to be the perfect vehicle for new and innovative world music.
Maybe it's because of the obvious, mechanical, trite, vaccuous attempts at making instant hits?
Maybe its because I know that all the best music in the world steers clear of competitions like this.
Maybe it's because all the previous winners music were tunes I can only describe as aural pollution.
However, if I was kidnapped and tied to a chair naked and forced to reveal one selected choice of song from the Eurovision contest that I could invest any semblance of emotional feeling into it would have to be this beauty from Finland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU

I gather the finals are being completed tonight for Englands entry.
I can only hope it has something approaching this songs energy levels.
The Band's name may have had some influence on my final decision too!

Tallyho!

Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: