Monday 8 December 2008

School Days

Whatto Scholars................


I received news from a lady in town that her son had been very disagreeable recently........

Being a single mother she had fewer options than most...............

But she knew of my skillful negotiating abilities and my tremendous ability to empathise with others so she called on me to try to help in some way.............

When I arrived she brought me 'up to speed' with the current circumstances......

......telling me "Each morning, nice and early I go through to wake up my son Peter..........

Today for example I went through with a nice hot cup of tea............

and said to him "Wake up, son. It's time to go to school!".............

But he just lies there and says "Why Mum?.......... I don't want to go!" "

Without hesitating I said "Let me speak to him!"

.......and we went upstairs with to speak to him...............

I came straight to the point...........

......saying "Peter! Give me two good reasons why you don't want to go to school!?"

He lay there thinking for a moment and then said "Well, for one thing - the kids hate me, and the teachers hate me, too!"

I paused, empathising with his dilemma for a moment, but decided to press on....saying "Well I don't think those are good enough reasons not to go to school. So come on and get ready!"

He just lay there............ defiantly...........

...... then he shouted "No! YOU give me two reasons why I SHOULD go to school."

I thought for a moment and realised that he was leaving me no option but to give it to him STRAIGHT!.....................

"Well, for one..................." I said

".....you're 52 years old!...............

And for another.......................

.....you're the Headmaster!"


Tallyho!

Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: