Friday 9 January 2009

Lord Noel's Jury Service

Whatto! Law abiders...............
Some time ago I was lucky enough to be asked to attend Crown Court to carry out my Duty in Jury Service .............

It was a facinating murder case and there was strong evidence indicating guilt but unusually there was no sign of a corpse.............
In the defence's closing statement the Barrister resorted to a trick................
He said "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have a surprise for you all," and he looked at his watch................
"Within one minute, the person presumed dead in this case will walk into this courtroom!"............ He looked toward the courtroom door................
We jurors, somewhat stunned, all looked on eagerly.............
A minute passed..............
Nothing happened..........
Finally the Barrister said, "Actually, Ladies & Gentlemen I made up the previous statement. But you all looked on with anticipation. I therefore, put it to you that you have a reasonable doubt in this case as to whether anyone was killed!.............. and I insist that you return a verdict of not guilty!"
The jury, who were clearly confused by this stunt, retired to deliberate...............
A few minutes later we returned and pronounced our verdict of..........
.... GULTY!


"But how?" inquired the Barrister. "You must have had some doubt; I saw all of you stare at the door."
"Yes, you're right..........we did look" I replied.......
................but your client didn't!"

Tallyho!
Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: