Friday 4 December 2009

Lord Noel Asks Are You Sitting Comfortably?

Whatto! Storytellers......


When our children were much younger.....
....I used to enjoy telling them bedtime stories.
Watching their delighted eyes light up as I improvised on the spot to go in whatever direction seemed to appeal to them most......
....the stories used to be invented on the spot.....
...based on the suggestions that THEY gave me.
For example.....
...I would first ask for a suggestion of a person (which could either be a name or a character).....
....a place....
....and then an object......
....and with those ingredients I would launch into an improvised story which somehow would mystically resolve itself by the time I reached the end.
They delight in telling me, even now, about the stories they remember me telling them and how much pleasure it gave them.
Just to demonstrate this let me give you an example......
....Name? "Hilda!"
.......Place? "Circus!"
.....Object? "Trampoline!"
.....and then you proceed to weave for some very small sleepy people......
...... an interesting and entertaining story......
....which can be highly original and unique.....
.......or, if you found this method was too taxing.......
.....you could instead tell one.....
.....based on the truth!

Tallyho!

Are you a good storyteller?
Best Wishes - Lord Noel & Lady Jacqueline

No comments: