Saturday 3 July 2010

Lord Noel On Why It Is Sometimes Much Better To Give....

What ho! Pepys....


At the end of each school year it has become something of a local tradition for the pupils to bring me surprise gifts as a 'thank you' for my having heavily sponsored their charming school each year.


As I obviously know the local people extremely well....
....I like to try to guess what the gift is before it's been opened.
The florist's son was first to step forward....
....and he handed me a gift.
I shook it, held it overhead, and said, "I bet I know what it is.........
...It's Flowers!" I exclaimed
"That's right!" the boy said excitedly, "But, how did you know?"


"Oh, just a wild guess," I said.
The next pupil was the sweet shop owner's daughter.
I again held her gift overhead, shook it, and said, "I bet I can guess what it is.....
.....It's a box of sweets!"
"That's right, but how did you know?" asked the girl.


"Oh, just a wild guess," I said once more.
The next gift was from the son of the local off-licence owner.
I held the package overhead once again, but this one was leaking.
I touched a drop of the leakage with my finger and put it to my tongue.....
...hoping to gain some vital information as to it's brand....
"Is it wine?" I finally asked.
"No," the boy replied, with some excitement.
So I repeated the process, tasting a larger drop of the leakage.....
"Is it champagne?" I asked.
"No," the boy replied, with even more excitement.
In exasperation I took one more big taste before declaring, "I give up, what is it?"
With great glee, the boy replied, "SURPRISE!!!......
.....It's a puppy!"

Tallyho!
Best Wishes - Lord Noel

No comments: